Friday, November 21, 2008

I Did It!

I have finally become confident enough in my sewing abilities to try selling my creations. I have always loved sewing, but knew very little about it. Over the past year I have gotten serious about learning. It never occurred to me that I could learn it all online. I found the threadbanger website over a year ago, and it opened a whole new world to me! I thought nobody sewed anymore. I definitely didn't know the internet could teach me everything I needed to know. I'm not saying I know it all now, but I no longer consider myself a beginner.

Besides a few aprons, I haven't made anything with a pattern until a couple of weeks ago. I learned how to read a pattern in school, but even then I didn't finish what I was working on. I usually do reconstructed clothing for myself, and that has gone well, but I am psyched about these two dresses I've done! One is with a pattern, and one without. I have put both in my shop, so I've got my fingers crossed!

I made this one from a pattern I found at the thrift store. I didn't realize it was only in one size when I bought it, so it's a little big on me. I decided it was good enough to sell, so I put it in my shop. (It's not really doing me any good in the wrong size anyway) It hasn't sold yet, but I'm hopeful. There doesn't seem to be as much competition in the clothing section of etsy as the jewelry. With one posting I got about 90 views as opposed to about 15 with my jewelry.
This may be my favorite reconstruction. I got the inspiration from a tutorial on threadbanger. It was a dress from two button down shirts too, but with an elastic waist and some ruffled detailing on the top. It was really awesome, so I had to try it. I'll find the post later and add a link. Anyway, I didn't want the elastic waist, so I left it out. Since I didn't use elastic I did pin tucks on the front and back to give it some shape. The neck and arm holes are bound with bias tape that I hand made from the leftover skirt material. This was also my first successful attempt at handmade bias tape that worked. That was really awesome! Enough of my talking, let me show this thing off!

I was extremely lucky enough to get a large box full of xxl men's shirts. I can't wait to make more of these! Hopefully the girls will give me a chance to make another. One of the shirts is red and green plaid. I'd like to use a white shirt for the top and the red and green one for the bottom. I'm gonna do it a little different though, maybe a fuller skirt. I think it would be great for Christmas. If it works out I'll be sure to post it. Sorry for the long post. I'm just really excited. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment