Thursday, July 18, 2013

Before and After

Hi!  I know I haven't been on here in sooooo long.  It seems like ever since I had Fletcher someone pushed the fast forward button on my life.  Things are so busy all the time!  The girls have been out of school for a few weeks now so things have slowed down some and I finally have a chance to blog!  I've got to be quick though, cause Fletcher could wake up from his nap any moment. lol

I want to share a project I did a couple of months ago.  You see, I started collecting those cute little erasers that are shaped like food.  I only get the food or food related ones and I keep them in the kitchen.  They were on the back of the stove, but they were getting filthy!  Plus, they kept falling behind the stove.  I wanted a shadow box to display them in, but was having a lot of trouble finding one.  You use to be able to get them at AC Moore and Michael's, but they only have the big open frame type shadow boxes now, not the ones with shelves inside.  Well, luckily Jason likes thrift stores as much as me.  He stopped in the one by his work on the way home one day and found this.



Yeah, not exactly what I had in mind.  The back was falling apart, and this is the exact style I used 10 years ago when I decorated the house.  I'm (slowly) changing everything now, so this didn't match anymore.  I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I had to be honest.  "That is just what I need, but this thing is ugly!".  Turns out his feelings weren't hurt, he responded with "Yeah, but I figured you could paint it.".  He was thinking craftier than me!  For some reason I forget that you can paint stuff, or I use to, now I'm painting EVERYTHING!  Here's how it turned out.

I'm so happy with it!  I've already added a whole collection of little figures to the top "attic" part too.

This was so easy.  I removed the back, hardware, and doors and covered the glass with newspaper and masking tape.  The worst part was sanding because I bought cheapo sand paper that was terrible and all those small spaces were a pain to sand.  I can tell you they were not sanded very well.  Then I spray-painted everything. You can see in the picture I didn't paint the inside of the doors.  I didn't feel it was worth the extra work to cover the glass for the side that doesn't show anyway.  I recovered the back with a red cotton fabric attached with spray adhesive and stapled it back on.  I wrapped the fabric around the back and stapled through it because the board was falling apart around the edges and I wanted to protect it from further damage.  Otherwise I would have cut the fabric off flush with the edges.  Ideally I would have replaced the board all together, but I'm cheap. ;)

It turned out so well I decided to make over a few other things too.

My breadbox:

This actually has a new life as a charging station, but that's another post. :)  The window was a piece of plexiglass that was screwed in place.  To cover it I just wrapped this polka-dot fabric around it, taped it to the back and screwed it back in place, right through the fabric.  Not the most professional approach, but I didn't want to mess up the window in case, for some unforeseen reason, I might want to change it back.  Hey, I did like it when I bought it 10 years ago, so who knows? lol

Here's another shadow box type shelf I later found at another thrift store.  I'm planning to "wall paper" each space with scrapbook paper and use it in the girls' room when I get it remodeled.  For some reason I don't have a picture of it painted, but it's white too.


I've also been buying up cheap wooden picture frames and painting them white.  For some reason I can't find white picture frames anywhere.  I want to do a bunch of black and white frames on the wall in the living room, I had tons of black but no white.  Now I just have to sort through my massive collection of photographs and artwork and find the ones I want to use.

I did all these projects with not quite two cans of Rustoleum spray paint and some scrap fabric.  So it was less than $10 to make these over and the two shadow boxes were only around $3 each.  So, say $16. Much better than buying a new breadbox and two new shadow boxes, not that I could find them anyway!

I hope this has inspired someone to get creative and use some paint.  I'd love to see some of your favorite painting makeovers if you want to share them in the comments.  Thanks for reading, and God bless!!


No comments:

Post a Comment